Skip to main content

In assessing Alec's Autism...

 I am very excited about what I am seeing!!!  We went camping this weekend and two observations were made that got me to thinking... and remembering...  


The first observation - He wasn't brutal!!!  This is exciting  because for many many years, everything we did was brutal!!  Autism is a very selfish world - you have to pretty much do everything they want.. or they make you miserable.               Tunnel vision... 

they only see themselves and how things effect them!!  But I have to say, the older Alec gets, the more we are able to reason with him - this is huge in the world of autism!!! 
Could they be any cuter???
Still not so sure about the whole fire thing!
Lake Bruin Wi-Fi!!  A beautiful thing!!!
Swinging in their PJ's...nothing better!
Getting his Facebook fix!

She is just the kind of woman he is looking for!!!!







Fishing!!!

Wore slap out!!!!!!  I love it!!!!




Reverse psychology really works on him...a lot of the time anyway!!! It is not fool-proof, but I know he really cares about me, and he doesn't like it when I am upset...i.e. mad!!  Most of the time when I say that I am going to give in to what he wants, he changes his mind.  It can be very tiring at times but also has been very effective. It does however, blow up in my face at times - just trying to keep it real!! :)



He loves baseball!!!!
Second observation- The older he gets the more his sweet spirit stands out.  He is very tender hearted and affectionate.  And the older he gets, the more he seems to care about other people...and sadly what other people think.  


And can I tell you that is also huge for an autistic person!!!!!


Kellye noticed it and made mention of it this weekend as we were camping, and it was such a blessing to me. There are so many times when I wonder what people really think of him.  I want so much for people to see Alec like I see him...as Christ sees him.  For some reason, it always seems like the brutal stands out more than anything else.  I want so much for others to hear our heart - to - heart talks...to see how we work through the stuff he doesn't understand...to hear him as he talks about his autism, his future, his friends, his fears...his take on the "cool" people (or what he considers cool) and questioning why he's not..."cool". 


He loves his friends!!!...

and his favorite cousin Kylie!!



And he loves him some Micah!!!!!!!



and he loves his mama!!!!!




He has so many good qualities in spite of his autism and is some ways because of his autism!!  He is polite, and has good manners.  He picks up after himself, and he is even helping more around the house-now don't start thinking crazy-he may empty the garbage cans and put his clothes in a drawer, but I'll take it!!!! - still trying to keep it real!!! 


He loves God and wants everyone else around him to too...and he has no problem telling you about Him.  One of his favorite questions to ask people, total strangers, family members...who don't go to church...is, "Do you love God?"  


He is so honest...he can't be anything else.  He tells you what he thinks about divorce, how you talk, how you treat people, your choice of hair color and/or style...brutal!!!, his take on if you are fair or not, if you go to church enough, etc., etc.!!!! And he has no problem throwing you right under the bus!!!

I love watching him as we homeschool.  He LOVES reading about the countries we are studying - the missionaries, the facts, the maps, etc.  And he gets so excited with when he understands math...and soooo frustrated when he doesn't.  Language is tough for him.  We started writing summaries this week.  Can you say brutal!!??  He really struggles with putting things in his own words. He is a very matter of fact fellow!!!


I know without a shadow of a doubt that one of the reasons he has come so far is because he has so many people in his life....but more than that...so many people in his life that love and live for Christ.  He has always been around people because we have been blessed with a church full of people who love him, are patient with him, and are willing to give a little extra for his benefit.  What a blessing!








I love him so much and am so thankful for the opportunity to be his mom. But I'm even more thankful for who I am because I am his mom.  To God be the glory for what he has done in and through Alec's little life.  
                                         
                                I am sooooooooooo
!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        Kayce



Comments

  1. BRUTAL...you got me crying over here sista!!! How true it is that he has come so far from the days of banana baby food and dirty diapers at age 5!!! He is a precious boy and I love him to pieces. This weekend of camping was so good for him. I know he had a great time and he seemed to really just feel at home. It was great!! I know that as he continues to grow (and hopefully get out of a size 8...LOL) God has plenty in store for him!!!! We are so blessed to have him in our lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! I loved reading more about your son and getting to know him better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellye...he is better because of God's grace, first and foremost...and because of all of you!!!!!

    Other Kellie - lol!!! Thank you for your faithful encouragement. I am enjoying getting to know you and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying over here too!! What an amazing post and what a sweet sweet little fellow you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Rhette. He is better because of you too!!!!! You were so good and patient with him. I know you are such a great mama!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1 Corinthians 13 applied to Christmas

1 CORINTHIANS 13 – - A CHRISTMAS VERSION - By an unknown author If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love, I’m just another decorator. If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love, I’m just another cook. If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love, it profits me nothing. If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir’s cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point. Love stops the cooking to hug the child.Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.Love is kind, though harried and tired. Love doesn’t envy another’s home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens. Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the wa

Welcome to the

    School room "makeover" edition of the  Not-Back-to-School-Blog Hop!!!! This by far will be my most exciting post yet!!!  As I mentioned in my curriculum post, this is my second time to homeschool .  The last time I homeschooled , my children were in 2nd and 4th grade, and we homeschooled for two years.  We actually did our schooling in a small dining room where the table took up most of the room.  My daughter sat at one end of the table and my son at the other.  I sat in the middle.  I had a wicker basket thingy with 3 drawers with all our stuff.  Now, they are in 9th and 7th grade-which means they are much bigger - lol !!!  Not to mention the fact that I am schooling two of their friends.  That means two 9th graders and two 7th graders. Well, the room I did homeschool in no longer exist due to a little remodeling, and we just so happen to have an extra room that was supposed to me my husbands room for an office and/ or work- out room but actually had turned out

Flourishing as a Pastor's Wife by Being a Team Player

Now I don't know much about football. My husband thought it was funny that this is the analogy and theme I chose to share with a group of pastor’s wives’ for a luncheon…but I really feel like this is where the Lord was leading me….our word for our ladies ministry this year is flourish …our focus in growing in grace…by His grace! Last year we cultivated…we pruned and weeded and got our soil ready, and this year, our goal is to focus on growing…so as I was thinking and praying on how I could best encourage us today to flourish as pastor’s wives…I was reminded of philosophy of sorts that Rusty and I have tried to live and model for our family… TEAM REED ….we wanted our kids to see that we work as a team…life is a team effort…even laundry…I remember my husband telling me early on in our marriage, that he was on my side…that he wanted me to succeed…….and we shared this with our daughter when she first got married that now she was part of TEAM REHIM…I even made her a TEAM REHIM sign….so