Skip to main content

October Highlights!!!

Where do I begin???  It has been a busy month.  We have been all over South America. 
We learned a lot about Brazil and a little about Peru, Venezuela, Argentina, and Chile.  It just so happened the week we were working on these countries was the same week they were rescuing the miners in Chile.  It was neat to watch and see the real live people we were talking about and praying for.  


We also added to our study the Children of the World book.  It is a great book that has pictures and information of actual children living in different countries.  It tells about their families, houses, religions, and their culture.  Alec loves this!!


We also spent a couple of days on rain forests. 


 We made a lapbook!  We learned about the layers of the rain forest, the animals, plants, and how many products come from the rain forest.  There are boo coo!!!


The boys also read Brucho and loved it. A true story about a missionary in South America.   It is supposed to be a read aloud, but they prefer to read it on their own.  Now they are reading Nate Saint.  He was one of the missionaries with Jim Elliot who were killed by the Waoranis - a tribe in the Amazon.


Some of their favorite things in MFW - Hero Tales, Window on the World, the geography game, and the John 3:16 language color sheet.


Their least favorite subject is Science (MFW).  We are going to add Apologia General Science next year since it was either for 7th or 8th grade.  I am not a huge fan of science either - lol!!!!


At the end of last week, we headed on to Europe!!
We spent 4 days in Norway and who knew there was so much info about Norway?  I started making them packets for each countries - flag sheets, fact sheets, word searches, research sheets, and reading comprehension sheets that relate to the people and activities of that country....


SIDE NOTE: I joined edhelper this week - great resources for countries and supplemental activities!!!!


At the end of each unit/continent study, they will choose their favorite country to make a lapbook.  It was too much trying to do one for each country, and I figure this will be a good review and wrap up activity.


We went to France today , and we will head to Germany and then Italy- can't wait - a lunch of some kind will be involved!!! I love Italian food.  And my hope is to end up in Spain and Great Britain/England the week before thanksgiving - the pilgrims, Plymouth, etc.  (stole this from Kellye at One Mom's Walk)!!!


 I will also be implementing a book from the Notgrass Company (got this idea from Randie) called Celebrate Thanksgiving.  It is a study of the traditions of Thanksgiving.  It looks great.  There is also one for Christmas - Celebrate the Savior.


I am still loving Teaching Textbooks and Abeka Language & Spelling just can't be beat!!!  

I can't believe it is almost November and I am still so excited about homeschooling.  I feel like the longer the year goes on, the better tweaked things become.  It is always encouraging when things get easier rather than harder!!!


Amongst all this going on, Monday we went on a field trip to a pumpkin patch.  And wouldn't you know it was the hottest day in October!!  But the kids didn't care.  They had a great time, and I loved watching them run and play together.  Even my Bailey -  My 9th grader who is such a good sport.  She loves the little kids so much and THEY LOVE HER!!  (My next post is going to be about her so I'll just say that the Lord has done mighty things this year where she is concerned and I am so proud of her...I'll leave it at that for now.)


Anyway, here are some pictures from Pumpkin Patch field trip.
Our precious crew!!!

























Our fearless leader!!!..and principal!





Please process our single file line!!




Happy homeschooling,
               Kayce











Comments

  1. I LOVED reading about all you have learned & the places you have "been"! Sounds so fun! I needed to read this today as I am having a burn out day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent some time reading through your blog today. What a beautiful, fun blog!

    We are doing MFW/ECC too but our boys are much younger. What encouraged me was your keeping it real in talking about your son with autism and all the goes with it. (tunnel vision, reverse psychology, oh my.. could I relate!) My son is 9 but reading about how your Alec is doing with his homeschool and just getting along in life was exactly what I needed today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1 Corinthians 13 applied to Christmas

1 CORINTHIANS 13 – - A CHRISTMAS VERSION - By an unknown author If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love, I’m just another decorator. If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love, I’m just another cook. If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love, it profits me nothing. If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir’s cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point. Love stops the cooking to hug the child.Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.Love is kind, though harried and tired. Love doesn’t envy another’s home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens. Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the wa

Welcome to the

    School room "makeover" edition of the  Not-Back-to-School-Blog Hop!!!! This by far will be my most exciting post yet!!!  As I mentioned in my curriculum post, this is my second time to homeschool .  The last time I homeschooled , my children were in 2nd and 4th grade, and we homeschooled for two years.  We actually did our schooling in a small dining room where the table took up most of the room.  My daughter sat at one end of the table and my son at the other.  I sat in the middle.  I had a wicker basket thingy with 3 drawers with all our stuff.  Now, they are in 9th and 7th grade-which means they are much bigger - lol !!!  Not to mention the fact that I am schooling two of their friends.  That means two 9th graders and two 7th graders. Well, the room I did homeschool in no longer exist due to a little remodeling, and we just so happen to have an extra room that was supposed to me my husbands room for an office and/ or work- out room but actually had turned out

Flourishing as a Pastor's Wife by Being a Team Player

Now I don't know much about football. My husband thought it was funny that this is the analogy and theme I chose to share with a group of pastor’s wives’ for a luncheon…but I really feel like this is where the Lord was leading me….our word for our ladies ministry this year is flourish …our focus in growing in grace…by His grace! Last year we cultivated…we pruned and weeded and got our soil ready, and this year, our goal is to focus on growing…so as I was thinking and praying on how I could best encourage us today to flourish as pastor’s wives…I was reminded of philosophy of sorts that Rusty and I have tried to live and model for our family… TEAM REED ….we wanted our kids to see that we work as a team…life is a team effort…even laundry…I remember my husband telling me early on in our marriage, that he was on my side…that he wanted me to succeed…….and we shared this with our daughter when she first got married that now she was part of TEAM REHIM…I even made her a TEAM REHIM sign….so