Skip to main content

November... came and went in a hurry

I can't believe it's already December!  November went by in a flash!!  It was a great month that had a great ending.  I love fall, Thanksgiving, eating and fellowshipping with friends, and this year being home made it even more special.  Here are some highlights:

We went all over Europe and leaned lots and lots of stuff. 


We went to Italy...

 We learned  opera music is very popular in Italy, and that Italians love soccer, snow skiing, bicycle racing, and all types of water sports.  Italy also has several active volcanoes;








in France, 




where we find the Eiffel Tower in Paris, we learned how important food is.  The French love to watch and play sports and every July they host the Tour de France- a 3 week bicycle race.; 


Germany, 
which is famous for its fairy tales by the Grimm Brothers - Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Sleeping beauty, to name just a few of my favorites.  Most of the classical music we listen to today were composed by German musicians such as Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, and Handel, all from Germany.  Some of the most most famous inventions came from Germany:  the printing press, pocket watches, bicycles, x-ray machines, and electric trains.  My favorite fact was that the Walt Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" castle was inspired by a famous castle in Germany; 












Norway, home of the Vikings, 


have languages similar to the Swedes and the Danish; 






and Spain...

 where the guitar was developed. Bullfighting is also a very important part of Spanish culture. 

     We studied and loved...
Leonardo da Vinci!...
who is most know for painting the Mona Lisa, but who was also an amazing inventor.  Among the many inventions he created or envisioned—hundreds of years ahead of his time—were the submarine, tank, helicopter,bicycle, and telescope. Many of Leonardo’s creations were never finished, but he left behind thousands of pages of drawings, records, experiments, observations, and plans in dozens of notebooks. We watched Time Warp Trio on the Internet- the boys loved that,  


                    Michelangelo... 

who carved David (the shepherd boy turned king of Israel) and decorated the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.  He was one of the most famous artists who ever lived, and... 


                             Galileo...
who was imprisoned in his home for his belief that the sun, not the earth, was the center of the universe.  He developed the telescope and loved to study the night sky.  He also invented the clock, compass, and thermometer. 

We also spent some time talking about the election process since the Tuesday following the first Monday in November is known as Election Day.We talked about the importance of voting and how it is a privilege we should never take for granted.

We also spent lots and lots of time "Celebrating Thanksgiving" and had a wonderful Thanksgiving Feast for our homeschool friends.  We had a great time and some wonderful food.  Each family brought two dishes and let me tell you we had a feast.  We had a devotional about Jehoshaphat where our focus was that we give thanks to the Lord, He love endures forever.  We divided the kids up into two groups and performed two plays.  THEY WERE PRECIOUS AND THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY.  The kids did great.  We did a fun fall craft, rode the 4-wheeler, and just spent the after noon enjoying each other.  We had a new family come join us and we enjoyed them very much.







              Play Practice...





These two were out sound effects!




The History of Thanksgiving
 The performances...


                                                
            

                                                                 Thanksgiving Guests



The Craft...


















The Saturday after Thanksgiving, my mom, Bailey, and a family friend, and I left for a 5 day cruise to Mexico.  We had an amazing time and our favorite thing was swimming with the dolphins.


We were off to a rough start!!!!!





Formal night!



In Progresso

In Cozumel


      SWIMMING WITH THE DOLPHINS!!!!









What a wonderful way to end November and begin December. 


 I can't wait to start back to school on Monday when will begin Christmas Around the World as well as a "Celebrate the Savior" study.  Looking forward to a great month and end to our first semester and most importantly having the opportunity to truly celebrate the birth of my Lord and Savior - to really sit at His feet and focus on the fact that He came to die....for MY sins.  He is so faithful, and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to share my need for a Savior with my own children, family, and friends.  

What a mighty God we serve, Kayce




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 Corinthians 13 applied to Christmas

1 CORINTHIANS 13 – - A CHRISTMAS VERSION - By an unknown author If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love, I’m just another decorator. If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love, I’m just another cook. If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love, it profits me nothing. If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir’s cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point. Love stops the cooking to hug the child.Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.Love is kind, though harried and tired. Love doesn’t envy another’s home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens. Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the wa

Welcome to the

    School room "makeover" edition of the  Not-Back-to-School-Blog Hop!!!! This by far will be my most exciting post yet!!!  As I mentioned in my curriculum post, this is my second time to homeschool .  The last time I homeschooled , my children were in 2nd and 4th grade, and we homeschooled for two years.  We actually did our schooling in a small dining room where the table took up most of the room.  My daughter sat at one end of the table and my son at the other.  I sat in the middle.  I had a wicker basket thingy with 3 drawers with all our stuff.  Now, they are in 9th and 7th grade-which means they are much bigger - lol !!!  Not to mention the fact that I am schooling two of their friends.  That means two 9th graders and two 7th graders. Well, the room I did homeschool in no longer exist due to a little remodeling, and we just so happen to have an extra room that was supposed to me my husbands room for an office and/ or work- out room but actually had turned out

Flourishing as a Pastor's Wife by Being a Team Player

Now I don't know much about football. My husband thought it was funny that this is the analogy and theme I chose to share with a group of pastor’s wives’ for a luncheon…but I really feel like this is where the Lord was leading me….our word for our ladies ministry this year is flourish …our focus in growing in grace…by His grace! Last year we cultivated…we pruned and weeded and got our soil ready, and this year, our goal is to focus on growing…so as I was thinking and praying on how I could best encourage us today to flourish as pastor’s wives…I was reminded of philosophy of sorts that Rusty and I have tried to live and model for our family… TEAM REED ….we wanted our kids to see that we work as a team…life is a team effort…even laundry…I remember my husband telling me early on in our marriage, that he was on my side…that he wanted me to succeed…….and we shared this with our daughter when she first got married that now she was part of TEAM REHIM…I even made her a TEAM REHIM sign….so