Skip to main content

Renew Our Witness

 Definition of a witness:

One that gives evidence; proof

One who can attest to the fact or event
one who has personal knowledge of something
something serving as evidence or proof
Synonym is TESTIMONY
In the New Testament, the word "witness" is derived from the various forms of the Greek word martus, which means "record," "report," "evidence given" or "testimony."

In the Bible, a witness is basically someone who sees something amazing or important. If this person begins to share what they’ve seen, we call this “bearing witness.” It’s a simple word, but being a witness carries a lot of responsibility!
In the Bible, the word “witness” is used to describe both a person and an action—someone who sees something and then talks about what they’ve seen.

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Acts 22:15 for you will be a witness for him to everyone of what you have seen and heard.

Philippians 2:15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,

John 15:8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

This lesson has two parts….when we talk about renewing our witness I want to talk about witnessing to the lost….that is something I know we all need to work….we must be able to articulate the Gospel...that can be so hard and intimidating...and as hard as it is to witness to strangers, it is even harder to witness to people we love and have a relationship with….and we also need to remember that how we act around the lost matters probably more than our words….because once you profess Christ...once that info is out there, it is on like Donkey Kong!
And the second part that I want to focus on is our witness to each other…usually when I think of witnessing, I think of witnessing to the lost...but I have come to realize that my witness to my believing people matters too...as important as it is for me to share my faith with the lost, it is equally important for me to share my faith and what the Lord is doing in my life to other believers...
Rusty taught us these 4 questions that have helped me so much:
  1. Who is God?? He is holy, just, and merciful
  2. Who am I?? I am not holy...I am sinner
  3. What did Christ do for me?? Died, He took my place….before he died, He lived a perfect life in a sin ridden world….He taught us and He left us an example oh how we should live.
  4. What does He require of me?? That I trust Him, repent, and follow Him.
God is clear in His Word. We are to “go and make disciples” (Matthew 28:19). And the older I get, the more I realize this is a command and not a suggestion—and it is something I need to do better at….it’s something we need to be intentional about.
And as intentional as we need to be with our words….with how we verbalize the Gospel to the lost….we need to be just as intentional with how we act and talk around our believing friends… when we profess to be a Christain...to be a child of God we are held to a higher standard….we are being watched….I am watching you….I am looking to my brothers and sisters in Christ to see how they handle things….the quarantine, the riots, sickness, how you handle your kids and your parents and your boss….are you a chick fil a Christian or a Popeyes Christian?? You know what I mean. For Chick Fil A, it is their pleasure to serve you. Popeyes so many times run out of chicken!!!!!!! How we respond to frustration, annoyances, difficulties, and temptations MATTERS to our brothers and sisters in Christ….We never want to misrepresent Christ to the lost, to our children, to our co-workers, to our friends...we actually should be striving to do the opposite….
So how do we make sure we are being a good witness to the lost as well as to other believers…

We must stay in the Word….
Psalm 1:1-2, “Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

We must have Scripture in our hearts….we must have Scripture memorized…..the more we know Scriptures and the Promises of the God and the stories from the old and new testament the better we will be able to view our situations from God’s perspective and know how Christ would have us respond.

We must pray without ceasing….may that be our immediate response….may our sisters in Christ know we pray first….may it be said of me that I was a prayer warrior!!
Philippians 4:6-7, “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
When we bring our concerns to God, HIS peace will guard our hearts and mind….this is a powerful witness to a watching world...and to our brothers and sisters in Christ.

We must trust and obey….
Psalm 28:7, “The Lord is my strength and my shield;
in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;
my heart exults,
and with my song I give thanks to him.”
John 14:23 “Jesus answered and said to him, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.”
We MUST rely on the promises of God...may we let our peace and confidence that comes from Christ speak volumes to those who are consumed with fear and anxiety….we must live like we trust God’s sovereignty….we must live like this is not our home...we must live like we know in the depths of our soul that in Christ alone our hope is found...our hurting brothers and sisters, whether they are lost or saved need to see us trusting when we don't understand….they need to see us obeying when it’s hard….obeying when it goes against the norm….obeying when we don't understand…..

We need to remember who we are….Romans 6:6, “For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—”.
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”

We belong to God and have been purchased by the precious blood of Christ…think about this…. OUR LIVES ARE A DISPLAY OF GOD’S GRACE!!! WOW JUST WOW!! And that means that our character, our conduct, our conversations….should always reflect Christ!! Brutal….but guess what!! They don’t because this side of Heaven we will mess us and sin….but do you know what else is a beautiful witness...to the lost and to the saved….when we are real and transparent...and raw when we mess us….we own it...we admit our need for Christ and His forgiveness...we ask for prayer when we fall short….we share our struggles with our brothers and sisters….we are honest about our struggles and our need for a Savior!! Nothing strengthens more than when I see a hurting sister seeking the Lord and receiving His grace. We need to be gracious and kind...

Ephesians 4:32, “ Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.”
by putting others first...by not letting our own struggles affect how we treat others...when we are hurting, let’s look for ways to serve others….look for ways to pour out grace...our own aggravations and problems are what Christ will use to point people to Him...our response to our own situations can change peoples lives IF we reflect the love of Jesus.



Verses to think about

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Ephesians 4: 29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpens iron,
and one man sharpens another.

Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
James 1:19, “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;”

Isaiah 12:2, “ “Behold, God is my salvation;
I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.”.....What an amazing verse to live by as we live our lives for Christ...as we live our lives with an eternal perspective...this is a fallen world and we desperately need to be a light...to the lost but also to our brothers and sisters in Christ...we need to be an encouragement, and example of what it looks like when we fail and fall but then get back up BY HIS GRACE!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the

    School room "makeover" edition of the  Not-Back-to-School-Blog Hop!!!! This by far will be my most exciting post yet!!!  As I mentioned in my curriculum post, this is my second time to homeschool .  The last time I homeschooled , my children were in 2nd and 4th grade, and we homeschooled for two years.  We actually did our schooling in a small dining room where the table took up most of the room.  My daughter sat at one end of the table and my son at the other.  I sat in the middle.  I had a wicker basket thingy with 3 drawers with all our stuff.  Now, they are in 9th and 7th grade-which means they are much bigger - lol !!!  Not to mention the fact that I am schooling two of their friends.  That means two 9th graders and two 7th graders. Well, the room I did homeschool in no longer exist due to a little remodeling, and we just so happen to have an extra room that was supposed to me my husbands room for an office and/ or work- out room but actually had turned out

1 Corinthians 13 applied to Christmas

1 CORINTHIANS 13 – - A CHRISTMAS VERSION - By an unknown author If I decorate my house perfectly with plaid bows, strands of twinkling lights and shiny balls, but do not show love, I’m just another decorator. If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies, preparing gourmet meals and arranging a beautifully adorned table at mealtime, but do not show love, I’m just another cook. If I work at the soup kitchen, carol in the nursing home and give all that I have to charity, but do not show love, it profits me nothing. If I trim the spruce with shimmering angels and crocheted snowflakes, attend a myriad of holiday parties and sing in the choir’s cantata but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point. Love stops the cooking to hug the child.Love sets aside the decorating to kiss the husband.Love is kind, though harried and tired. Love doesn’t envy another’s home that has coordinated Christmas china and table linens. Love doesn’t yell at the kids to get out of the wa

Not Back to School Blog Hop: Curriculum

This is our first year back homeschooling. They are in the 9th and 7th grade. The last time we homeschooled, they were in the 2nd and 4th and we homeschooled for two years. For the past three years we have been at a wonderful Christian school in our area. I taught 4th grade and my daughter had a wonderful experience in middle school, 6th through 8th grade. Our school only went to 8th grade. My son had a rougher time. The teachers were wonderful and he had great friends, played basketball and flag football, but academically he struggled due to his autism. The lockers, changing classes, over stimulation, etc. But the Lord has continued to be faithful throughout our school career whether we were in private school, public school, or homeschooling, so I have no doubt that the upcoming year will be no different.  I am so excited to be sharing this adventure with several close friends at my church and equally excited that I will be homeschooling a friend for each of my kids.  We are looki